MOH News
39th Meeting of COVID-19 Monitoring Committee
29 March 2020

​On Sunday afternoon, the COVID-19 Monitoring Committee held its 39th meeting. Chaired by the Minister of Health, Dr. Tawfiq bin Fawzan Al-Rabiah, the meeting was attended by the committee members, who represent the relevant government agencies. During the meeting, all relevant COVID-19 updates and reports were reviewed. The committee has discussed the global epidemiological situation, as well as the cases reported locally and their health condition.​

All precautionary measures carried out at the points of entry into the Kingdom will continue in full, the Committee stressed and will be further tightened. The Committee commended the citizens’ compliance with the curfew, and called on them to stay home, and refrain from going unless extremely necessary (during the hours when going out is permissible).

The meeting was followed by a joint press conference, the participants in which included Dr. Muhammad Al-Abdulaali, MOH spokesman and Lt. Col. Talal Al-Shalhoub, Ministry of Interior spokesman. The MOH spokesman mentioned that the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases worldwide has amounted to 666,000 cases, of which 141,000 cases have recovered to date. As for the COVID-19 death toll, it has jumped to 30,000.

 “96 new COVID-19 cases have been reported in the Kingdom,” said Al-Abdulaali. “These include 28 cases coming from abroad and are currently quarantined. While the remaining 68 cases have been in contact with previously reported cases.” Al-Abdulaali pointed out that these new cases were recorded in the following cities: 27 in Riyadh, 23 in Dammam, 14 in Madinah, 12 in Jeddah, 7 in Makkah, 4 in Khobar, 2 in Dhahran, 1 in Al-Qatif, 1 in Ras Tanura, 1 in Saihat, 1 in Al-Hafouf, 1 in Taif, 1 in Khamis Mushayt and 1 in Tabuk. This brings the total cases tested positive for COVID-19 in the Kingdom up to 1,299 cases, the total recoveries to 66 cases and the total deaths to 8 cases or 0.6% of the total confirmed cases. He added that the total laboratory examinations amounted to 55,990 (1,730 examinations for every million people). 

He reiterated the importance of self-assessment against the COVID-19 symptoms, making use of the MOH's ‘Mawid’ service. “Anyone who experiences symptoms, or has a question can call the 937 Service Center which works around the clock,” said the MOH spokesman. 

For his part, the MOI spokesman, Lt. Col. Al-Shalhoub commended the high commitment to the orders prohibiting roaming and movement between the Kingdom's regions, as well as barring entry and exit from the cities of Riyadh, Makkah, Madinah, and Al-Qatif. He pointed out to the decision adding Jeddah to the sealed off cities and extending the entry ban to start from 3:00 pm today (Sunday). 

He also recalled the decision to extend the suspension of office works for all public and private sectors, and domestic and international flights, as well as suspension of buses, taxi and trains until further notice, confirming that the agricultural and industrial activities will be available throughout the day in all cities and regions.

He stressed that the security men, along with the supporting forces, are enforcing the curfew throughout the Kingdom’s regions, and that all points of entry in cities, regions, and villages are under control. He commended the support given to the security men and compliance shown by citizens and residents with the directives issued by the relevant authorities, including MOH and security authorities on their social media pages. 

He urged citizens and residents to use MOI's Absher platform services for individuals and businesses to implement transactions from their homes. He stressed that we all work for the good of this country and called on everyone to stay home and refrain from going outside unless necessary (during the hours when going out is permissible). 

Commenting on the media coverage of the curfew, he said that the media is one of the categories exempted from the curfew on the condition that media men must carry the national ID, as well as a certificate issued by the employer, confirming that penalties shall be applied against violators. “Anyone who produces publishes or circulates materials that undermine the curfew shall be punishable by law,” he warned.






Content Evaluation
Reading times
Last Update 30 March 2020 11:51 AM
Do you find this content useful? Yes No Suggest
Satisfaction of visitorsA sign of happiness
Satisfaction of visitors Completely satisfied Satisfied Neutral Not Satisfied Completely dissatisfied
This site can be viewed on all screen tones and all smart devices and supports all kinds of browsers
All Rights Reserved – Ministry of Health – Kingdom of Saudi Arabia ©